Writer Day 7: Rain


Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
-Bob Marley

Have you ever danced in the rain?

I haven't. But I have walked, ran, played and driven in it. I have been cleansed by rain, disgusted by rain and thankful for rain. Sometimes it is a thankful surprise but it is always needed whenever it comes.

Rain is so important for so many reasons but if you think about it, rain is a great example of what blessings and storms in our life feel like depending upon how you view them. Everything is about perspective.

Today was a rainy day in Pittsburgh. We had scattered rain showers and it was a little chilly. I watched people with open umbrellas when there was no rain. Sometimes we get so into a groove that we mindlessly do things without realizing we no longer need to do them. Message!

Let's try an personification exercise today. Be rain. Write something that reflects your perspective as rain. What message do you want to send?

I see you running for cover.
Why are you running?
I announced myself with my thunderous drum roll.
Didn't that teach you to expect me?
Don't you know the signs of my coming after all this time?
Maybe you don't,
Sometimes I think you'd rather exist without me, I know I a nuisance sometimes
But if you pay attention to the signs you will always know I'm coming.
No need to fear me, I come in peace - to ensure that your dry season is only temporary.
Yes, I am instructed to pour down on you, for you even when you don't want it.

Girl, Pray for Me and let it rain.

PLJ

Comments