#DaringDecember17: Kia Richardson

Hello Scribes,

Telling your truth comes with the risk of what other people will think, feel or say about you. Telling your truth reminds you of how much God's hand has been on your life.

Kia Richardson is not a stranger to #NowNovember or #Daring December. She is a fierce advocate for survivors of intimate partner violence and raising awareness about victims. Kia talks about the hard things that are often pushed under the rug. Here is her reflection on Vitamin K:
Are you aware that Vitamin K is an essential nutrient necessary for responding to injury? When I think about injuries I often ponder visible wounds, cuts, scrapes and bruises. I never thought about unseen injuries such as oppression, depression, anxiety and heartbreak. I could be a poster child for each of these injuries, however I have allowed God to mend what was broken. I could allow those injuries to keep me inside of a cocoon, keeping a muzzle on my truth, my story and my journey to healing but I won’t.

As I walk down memory lane and think of some of the injuries I’ve had to endure, it is a long list. I survived because God knew one day I would evolve from the cocoon of shame and spread my wings to fly and tell my truth. A babysitter molested me.  I became a mother two months after turning fifteen.  I was forced to abort what would have been my second child by a man who abused me. Youngest daughter’s father murdered my son. I watched my mother transition from cancer. I can’t forget about the ”daddy issue” that plagues so many of us. These are my truths.

I have had long nights, anxiety attacks and even a very brief stay on the fourth floor at a local hospital. I have thought about, and even tried some of low roads. For a long time I turned to sex to take away the pain and after the sheets dried my pain was still there. I tried the drinking thing and I was able to hide it clubbing every weekend. I would be too drunk to drive but take the risk anyway. The next morning after the alcohol wore off, the pain was still there. My truth may not include hardcore drugs but I can tell you that when people sober up, the pain is still there.

My truth is that life didn’t get better until I started to believe the words I often quoted from the Bible. I had to use those words as a shield from the mean things people would say, and do to me. I had to believe I was called to something greater than wet sheets and alcohol bottles. One of my absolute favorite passages in the Bible is in the book of Isaiah, chapter 61. I dare you to check it out and read it out loud.

This #DaringDecember17 I challenge you to stand on your truth, own it and most of all heal from it. God has people ready to hear your truth. Believe it or not, your truth will assist in their healing. The cocoon is getting tight because it is your season to soar above the pain of your truth.

#DaringDecember17 is your season of FREEDOM from all bondage. Your season in the cocoon is over, the caterpillar will shed the pain and you, the butterfly will be free to fly. 

This #DaringDecember17 I challenge you to allow this dose of Vitamin K to start your healing process. The truth is many people have a past that comes with pain. There is NO pain too deep for God to heal.

Soar on Queen. Soar on Butterfly.

Thank you Kia for this dose of Vitamin K. Don't ever forget that your bravery is necessary, your authenticity is appreciated and you are a catalyst for others to heal.  


Comments