Writer Day 18: Fire, 2

Yesterday we saw a picture of a house that had been destroyed by fire. Remember I told you I was with my friend when she got the call, we were at an author's event and she was my right hand lady (still is). I was talking to someone, turned from the table to say something to her and saw tears spilling from her eyes. 

Here is the testimony of the house in my friend's own words:



On my way into my 3rd church service I received a phone call telling me my father’s house had caught fire and no one knew if he was dead or alive.  She sent me a picture of the house and I remember thinking “no one could have survived that”. After much chaos, anxiety and confusion, my father was found, alive. Because my father is not well, he could not accurately tell us all the events that transpired but one thing was for certain, a stranger busted the door down and saved his life. 


Her childhood home
Had it not been for the actions of a man named Paul, my father would not be here today.  Words can’t describe what you feel when you see the devastation of fire. At first I didn’t want to see the house but eventually I went and stood where my past once existed. Everything about my childhood was in the basement- pictures, documents and stuff. Stuff that was gone. I mourned the mementos being lost but I rejoiced over the divine intervention of God.  God is so mindful of us that He would orchestrate a whole series of events just to get to us.  

My dad was rescued on a Saturday late night/early Sunday morning (~1:00am). Paul’s fiancĂ©e works EVERY Saturday-she just so happened to have this Saturday off. They were going to spend a romantic evening together and changed their mind and decided to take their kids to Dave N Busters. When it was time to leave (around 11) the kids were having so much fun they decided to stay longer. All of these events put them outside of my father’s house at the exact moment that a fire started on the stove. My father was laying down sleep, below the smoke level in the atmosphere so he never inhaled smoke. 
Paul believed someone was in the house, not knowing whether that was true or knowing the layout of the house, entered a pitch dark house full of smoke, navigate to the exact location of my father, dragged him out all in a matter of less than 10 minutes, the exact moment after the house went up in flames like a matchbox. They sat outside on the steps and watched the flames consume what was once our home. Paul  not only saved my father, but he saved the neighbors too by informing them that a fire was consuming my father's house.  
My father never had to see a doctor and only received medical treatment on site as a precaution. The only evidence that a fire ever happened is the picture you observed yesterday. When I feel like God is unaware or silent, I remember February 23, 2014.

For today's assignment I want you to look at the picture of the "house" and write about yourself as if you are the house we see in the picture. This is why we say take care of your temple. Ironically this is what DLowe is teaching about at the Girl, Pray for Me Retreat.

DLowe and PLJ

Thank God they saw fit to make my foundation strong -
Somebody know what I needed.
I never would have imagined that I needed saving.
From what? Wind, rain, sleet and now fire!
They beat up against me, tried to break me,
wanted to see me fall down in splinters.
I almost did
But I am still standing
Bruised and full of scars but I am still standing.
I see the significance and I am ready to come out as pure gold.



Girl, Pray for Me. Pray for each other and take care of your temple.

PLJ


Comments