Writer Day 8: My Gift to Myself

Hi There Scribes,

I've been thinking a lot lately. Pondering my life AND decisions I have made. Although I don't think I want to live with regrets there are a few situations where I could have let wisdom  lead the way with more power.

Recently I have come to understand how race and privilege have played a part in my development.  Not in the sense of being disrespected because of my race (which has happened), but in the way that I see the world through brown tinted lenses.  Sometimes I am quick to judge, and other times I make no movement at all. The issue has been in giving away my power,  or demeaning myself in the face of white coworkers or African American coworkers with higher positions because I may not have the same types of opportunities as they have had. As silky as it seems, some of the ways that video have given away my power have shown me that I have a lot of learning and praying to do.

After a very painful experience at work last week I decided to talk to several people from different vantage points to help me process my experience. I spoke to people in my life who offered insight from the spiritual, personal,  racial and professional perspective. All of the confidantes helped me to understand my lenses but one in particular made me reevaluate my Personal Code of Conduct.

What do you do for yourself on a regular basis?  How do you honestly regulate your life?

I have decided to rewrite my personal Code Of Conduct. I only have a portion complete but I wanted to share.  This is your challenge today, write one for yourself.

-------

I will be slow to speak and quick to listen. I will use uplifting words as part of my language. This is for my authenticity.

I will always be honest with myself and others with regard to how I feel. This is for my integrity.

As a woman I will pay attention to how I nurture others and demean myself,  that is unacceptable and not a lesson to pass on to my child(ren). This is for my womanhood.

My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit,  I will keep it clean and maintained do I can continue God's work. This is for my purpose.

I will smile and be kind when I greet people. I will maintain strong contact with people I love. This is for my relationships.

I will call people by name and speak my own with confidence. This is my gift to myself.

-------

What about you?

Still unpluckable,

Penda

Comments