Fierce Resurrected!

I don't wear heels often; I am simple. I don't own a pair of red bottoms or a vast collection of heels to match every outfit. I walk for exercise and don't always want to carry a shoe bag. In my closet are two pair of black pumps, red pumps. Flats and gym shoes. I was content with my simplicity in the shoe game until I took CitySTYLES' Stiletto Fit Class where stilettos of all styles and colors united in exercise and fun.

I walked into the Dance Alloy studio timidly since I didn't have anyone with me. I knew a few people in the room but they were with friends so I tried to camouflage myself among the walls in the back of the studio. I think Lamar the instructor was secretly reading my mind. He had all these crazy ideas of spreading the group out for individual and group interaction.

Gulp!

Lamar made walking in heels look easy.

Yes. I relearned how to be a lady in heels and how to feel sexy from a man. "This is about appreciating your body," he explained. "Wearing heels is a privilege." He told his story about having a bad knee and that the older we get the harder it becomes to wear heels. He admonished us, "Work it while you can." Consistently Lamar commented about how beautiful we all were and how fabulous it was to see us "working it." I loved to see him get excited, watching him jump up and down in his heels gave me continued courage to keep practicing.

Photo Credit Allegra Battle Johnson, CitySTYLE
I look so happy. That woman needs to be in heels on a daily basis!
This class reminded me of my charm school experience when I was fourteen. Lamar was not as demanding as Ms. Mary Dee Kirkland, but he was tough. I think his interpretation of confidence is fierce. Ms. Mary Dee's purpose was to strengthen the lady in us when she taught us how to walk, apply our makeup, sit like a lady and embrace our confidence. I remember vividly on my first day of class that Ms. Mary Dee made me sit in front of the mirror for an hour until I could look at myself and sit up straight. From crying in front of the mirror on that first day I transformed into a model for De'Elegance Productions.

Photo Credit: Allegra Battle Johnson, CitySTYLE
Lamar did a great job of teaching us about the process of walking in our heels. I learned that you lead your walk with your pelvis. Lamar shared, "that is where your power is. When you walk, put one foot in front of the other, heel to toe. This makes the walk efficient." He modeled the walk for us, "The legs must be fierce and long." Keep your knees slightly bent to help with balance. Your pelvis bone and muscles control that balance. We practiced three types of walks:

  • The church walk is your normal walk. When you go to church you don't shake too much. With this walk you are strutting with intention to get to church without drawing too much attention to yourself.
  • The fierce walk, when you know you look good. You just got paid, you are mad at your significant other and you have something to prove. "I am the sh--!" 
  • The sexy walk, allows you to take your time and show off. When you walk this way, slightly drag your toe and hesitate before you take your next step. 
Photo Credit: Allegra Battle Johnson, CitySTYLE
I was okay when we were doing a large group routine learning a few steps and movements with our arms. Then we had to walk in a circle strutting and sashaying in our heels. The way he was calling out commands to the beat of the music had me grooving. But the idea of an individual walk was terrifying. I kept imagining myself tripping over my feet. Lamar took me by the hand and walked with me. I appreciated that he saw my body language and acknowledged my trepidation. 

This class was fun, educational and empowering. I laughed so hard and at times I was moved to tears. I felt Lamar's passion for helping women feel sexy and beautiful. After class I called my mom and sister to share what I learned. My mom admitted, "I couldn't teach you what I didn't know. That's why I sent you to charm school." My sister was on the phone practicing the three types of walks. It was funny but it was true, we have to know something in order to teach it. Now I can teach my daughter. Before class I would get annoyed when she would leave my heels all over the house. Maybe it wasn't about the shoes, it was jealousy that she is already confident walking in heels at eight. When I watch her playing in my heels she is smiling and strutting with no qualms. I hope she never loses that fierceness. Thank God for Lamar for resurrecting the fierce in me!

Photo Credit: Allegra Battle Johnson, CitySTYLE
I left the studio and ran some errands to Whole Foods and Walgreen's. I found myself leading my walk with my pelvis and dragging my toe. I was giggling while practicing but eventually this will become my normal gait. I am fierce. As Lamar says, we are all fierce. How we walk determines how other people perceive us. From hiding in the back of the studio to being excited about trying on new shoes I was transformed by CitySTYLE's Stilletto Fit Class. Now who wants to take me shoe shopping? Werk it!

Me with Fierce Lamar
Photo Credit: Allegra Battle Johnson, CitySTYLES

Still Unpluckable,


Comments

  1. Penda, thank you for sharing your experience! As women, I think at some point we all struggle with owning our own sexy and being confident - it's so true, when you feel good on the inside, it shows on the outside! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment