#DaringDecember: Shiwana Rucker

Dare to Be – Shiwana Rucker

One of the biggest struggles I have is being satisfied with who I really am. I won’t go into years past because it will take all of next year to read, but this year alone, I have been having some challenges with:

* relationships with the opposite sex.
* managing my finances.
* writing more.
* figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.
* did I say writing more?
* figuring out what God wants me to be right now.

It is disheartening, at best, when you reach a certain age, particularly middle age (I don’t mind telling my age…46), and look back on the last two decades of your life and realize you haven’t done much, haven’t accomplished much, haven’t had much success, just haven’t…. finished school, gotten married, bought a house, settled into a career, written a book, saved for retirement…I just haven’t. No one, other than me, is to blame. And I have about 50 go-to excuses lined up and ready to fire at a moment’s notice for why I haven’t.

I’m reminded of this story in the Bible – After the death of Moses, God spoke to Joshua about leading the Israelites across the Jordan to the land He promised them. He says, 
“I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses….No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them.”    Joshua 1:3-6
As an heir to the promise (this promise and all the other promises), I’m commanded to be strong and courageous because He is with me and won’t leave me nor forsake me. WHAT YOU SAY, LORD?? Mmmm-hmmm! He said that!!

As we embark on the end of 2015, I’m committed to change my thinking about me. I’m committed to change me! I’m already great because I’m made in His image. But I’m committed to walk in my greatness! To be great! I’m not waiting until 2016. No New Year’s resolutions. I’m daring – Daring (v.) - having the courage to do something; having the courage to take action. 

I’ve had it up to my 5’5” frame! Enough is enough! This December…Today… Right now I’m daring myself:
* to not be afraid.
* to trust God.
* to walk out on faith.
* to trust God.
* to be different.
* to trust God.
* to love.
* to be open to love.
* to trust God.
* to write and write some more.
* to walk in God’s promises.
* to be who God created.
* to be ME!
* to trust God.

Get my point? It all starts with trusting HIM, the one who created us, the one who knows us better than we know ourselves, the one who knows the plans…! I can’t concern myself with what everyone else is doing! I know some successful people doing their thing!! I’m SO proud of them! I can’t be mad. I can’t hate. I have to keep my head up, my eyes on the cross and focus on the M to the E! 

I know I’m not alone, so don’t leave me hanging. 
Who’s with me? No more excuses. 
Let’s Dare to Be EVERYTHING that’s within us to be RIGHT NOW!






Shiwana Rucker resides in Atlanta, GA. She is a lover of words and language. Shiwana is currently daring herself to finish her book!








Be daring, go get your dreams,










Comments