#InscribeMe Day 4: Favorite Food

Hello Scribes,

For today's prompt I want you to write about your favorite food. There is no second track today. Pen a description of a food you love and describe it to someone who has not had the pleasure of enjoying it or help someone who can no longer have it remember the taste.
_____________
Hey There,

I thought about Red Lobster today; I know it's your favorite place to eat. I don't remember us ever going together but Honey Pie you love seafood so I always send you gift cards. I need to get to you so I can transport you to your favorite place. I used to get upset when you smacked your teeth while sucking on shrimp. You didn't care about my feelings, you enjoyed your food and burped it up in satisfaction when you finished. Now I understand that enjoying your food is a a luxury that doesn't last a lifetime. Forgive me for fussing at you all those years, I long to hear you enjoy a succulent piece of shrimp.

Come to think about it, seafood was a staple in our life. You always made us seafood quiche with imitation crab meat and several types of cheese. "Catfish" was always the code word when we needed one for stranger danger. The fridge was always stocked with tuna salad made with tart cranberries, pickles, mustard, mayo and boiled eggs. It was a sweet and savory salad that we often ate on toasted hamburger buns.
Remember that one time I was in high school that you bought a meal to my job because my boss wouldn't let me go to lunch with you? She wouldn't even let you in the office to give it to me. "I don't want my office smelling  like fish," she said. "Go downstairs and eat it."  She was a tough manager and I was only sixteen. After working with her I changed my mind about law school. You told me to get out of there quickly and I did. She laughed at my resignation letter too.

Reluctantly I sat in the basement on a cold stool with one light hanging over my head and I ate the food. It was so buttery. Butter is creamy and salty, when it gets cold it turns bright yellow. The cheddar bay biscuits were on point that day, they crumbled when I took a bite, I could tell they were freshly made for you. You had wrapped everything so carefully for me, I love that about you, you're so thoughtful all the time. My food was still hot and it kept my leg warm while I sat in the basement. You were thoughtful and felt bad that I had to eat that way, but we enjoyed talking about your visit to the restaurant with your friend. You always take care of everybody around you. That must be where I got it from.

So back to this shrimp. You have to put a lot of lemon on it to make sure it doesn't smell but the crunch of the battery shrimp leaves crumbs around your mouth. You have to eat slowly so you can enjoy the moment. My baby can't have shrimp but she eats tuna. She hasn't had your savory salad because she can't have the eggs but I don't know if she would like the craisins in there anyway. I laugh about it now, but as a kid, it was most embarrassing when you offered your concoction to my friends. "You want some tuna?" You would be so happy to ask them if they wanted some and they would pile paper plates with saltine crackers and your now famous cranberry egg tuna. Wow. Those were the days. If you go to my cupboard right now you will find an industrial sized bag of craisins for my tuna salad.

I didn't learn until recently that we both love Key Lime Pie! That is crazy that we both love the tart lime mixed with cloudy whipped cream and crunch graham cracker crust. I mean Key Lime Pie is the truth and my favorite next to warm apple pie with caramel.

So I'm trying to whet your appetite for food, all of your favorites. No more not eating okay? Think about shrimp and key lime pie and cheddar bay biscuits. Does it make your stomach start to rumble? I'd love a date to Red Lobster with you.

I love you and we will keep walking and living with power through this. No fear, no regrets, just love.

#InscribeMe,



Comments