Breakthrough to Faith

Hello Scribes,

How did you spend your Martin Luther King Day?

On Monday afternoon I was reflective after a Martin Luther King Day celebration at church. Our speaker gave a personal reflection of how he had been inspired and shaped by the values of Dr. King. The quote that he left us with was echoing in my mind as I drove home:

 ðŸ’— "Let no man pull you low enough to hate him."
~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
I was thinking to myself, Hate is a strong word, and an irresponsible emotional weight to bear when it is displaced. How does one overcome hate? Hate of others who have wronged them? Hate due to ignorance? Self-hate? My thoughts were intertwined with watching the road and sounds from Disney Radio when I saw a car driving erratically. As I watched the incident unfold I squeezed the steering wheel and began to pray out loud. My heart raced as I watched a car cross the intersection through a red light and hit a car at the red light. I dialed 911 to make a report and the phone rang for what felt like an eternity.

My daughter had been resting in the back seat but sensed my unspoken emotions. "What happened Mommy?"

"Everything is okay baby. Mommy witnessed a car accident. Just pray." I could barely understand what she was saying as she cried but I understood, "I miss Grandma and Mom Mom." Grief had sat with my baby in the back seat, children also experience grief. She was worried, "Were there any kids in the car?"

"No baby, I didn't see any." I tried to console her but my child has a sensitive spirit and continued to cry. "Why don't people pay attention? Don't they know that when they don't pay attention they can cause people to get hurt?"

"Yes baby, I know." I changed the radio to soothing gospel music and my daughter calmed down. I could see her in the rear view mirror, she had a tear-stained face and was gasping for air. As I drove, I spoke to her in a soft voice, "Breathe baby, it will be okay." I encouraged her to recite her memory verse, "God did not give us the spirit of fear but of love, power and a sound mind." She gathered her composure but her words stuck with me. When people don't pay attention, someone can get hurt. When we don't pay attention to God, to our surroundings, hearken to the Holy Spirit or our close family and friends someone can get hurt.

Hurt causes hate.

How do you overcome hate?

Love.

No matter what context you put true love in, it will prevail. Love is the catalyst to the breakthrough. In order for us to breakthrough to faith there has to be a collision of our will against God's. Maybe it is time for us to breakthrough to faith and apply the love of God to our hurts.

InSCRIBE Me,


Comments