Three Ways to Break through Writer's Block

Hello Scribes,

Writer's block! Ughhh!

I hit a writing wall that knocked me down. This was a different type of writer's block. The words fought each other to be written until they locked together and formed a wall. There are ten draft blogs in my queue - I was writing, it just didn't feel right.

Despite the intentional planning with my mastermind groups and personal board of directors in 2016 I could not write in February or March of 2017. There was societal inspiration, spiritual inspiration and lists of blog ideas accessible to me but attempts to use those subject matter felt irrelevant.

Let me tell the truth:
I have been using writing as a way to suppress my feelings 
for almost a year. 

I wrote to keep normalcy in my life but I was writing from a place of servitude for others instead of writing to understand who I am becoming as a result of the transitions in my life. Losing my mother and mother in love changed me - there are days that my soul literally cries out from missing them. When those days became the months of February and March I put my pen down. In this season I learned that I had been writing to console others and forgot to extend the same grace for myself.
I participated in a challenge to coach myself . (<<<<<< Check out Natisha Willis). It was not easy, but it was necessary.

Hear me: You can take as long of a break as you need, but as a Scribe you cannot stop writing - you have an assignment to complete. Here are a few ways I broke through my writer's block. Try some of these suggestions if you are stuck behind a wall.

  • You can review your "stuff":

    • Read text messages and look for words or phrases that inject inspiration into you
    • Read your emails and find unfinished ideas
    • Scroll through your memories on social media
    • Look at your photos on your phone and write about your experiences

  • You can take a break and get restored:

    • Take a walk
    • Go to sleep
    • Pray or meditate
    • Exercise 
    • Drink some water

  • You can soak in your environment:

    • Read a magazine
    • Watch television with closed caption
    • Write a letter or a card to someone you love
    • Turn on your favorite inspirational music
You are still a writer even when you are not writing. You are a better writer when you write what you know. Tell your truth. My truth is that I intend to be a better Scribe Coach on the other side of this writing wall.

Just write,


Comments