Writer Day 16: Firsts

Today's challenge was inspired by my TwitterSister Shonda Brock. One of her tweets  intrigued me so much that I couldn't wait to do the writing on this subject. With Shonda's permission this is our assignment today. Write a list of firsts. Describe what you felt honestly.

  • My first car was a sky blue Honda Civic with four doors. I loved that car and named it Petu after watching an infomercial about a medical group soliciting funds. I remember watching the show and crying so hard for Petu and his mother after he died. Ironically, I live in a country that is able to care for the respitory concerns of my child.
  • My first trip overseas was to Haiti for a mission trip in 2000. It was challenging and painful but powerful at the same time. That is where I met Olita, a little girl who impacted my life and without words reminded me to follow my dreams.
  • My first time eating Indian food I was in love! I was on a date with my then boyfriend who is now my husband and I had spicy Shrimp Saag with mint nan and iced tea. The combination of the spice with the mint had a party in my mouth. RJ and I often frequented that restaurant and chose to have an Indian themed wedding as a result.
  • The first time I laid eyes on my precious daughter I asked her, “What’s  your name?” Of course she couldn’t talk but her father and I looked at each other and agreed on one of the many names from A to Z that we had chosen. I saw in that moment that she looked like her father and not me. She still does and sometimes I get a little jealous of her relationship. I pray that God allows me to give her a brother or sister one day.
  • The first time I colored my hair I had been sent away to spend time with my mother in law in Maryland. She is a beauty conscious woman who encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone. As stated previously, my stylist lives in Maryland but I try to see her once a year for a color touch up.
  • The first time I followed my heart and took a daring risk was when I moved to Colorado to work at Eagle Rock for a year. Some of my dearest friends were met during that time.
  • The first book I wrote was Free to Fly: Wisdom for the Seasons in a Woman’s Life. I wrote it in 1999, with the help of my contributing authors. It went through several phases and was finally completed in 2009, 10 years later!
  • The first time met my male BFF Dano was on stage at the Lucia May Wiant Speech Contest at Nettie Lee Roth Junior High. We talked through the entire contest until the only other 8th grade competitor stood up and coughed into the mic commanding our attention. Even though I don’t see Dano often, he walked with me through some tough times in my life.
  • That leads me to another first, the first time I understood how to love a gay family member or friend was because he gave me a second chance to embrace him after I deeply hurt his feelings when he came out to me. Over time I learned how to let people live their own lives.
  • The first time I saw Nightmare on Elm Street I couldn’t sleep for weeks.
  • The first time I got into a car accident I was in the car with my sister and our dear friend. That was scary, 5 car accidents later I am so thankful for traveling mercies on my life.
  • The first time I was impacted by the ugly suicide monster is when my aunt attempted to take her life in 1997. She is a pillar of strength and resilience in my life. Since that time I have walked with numerous people toward victory and unfortunately been to several funerals. I vow to love everyone I meet because you never know. . .
Girl, Pray for Me, this is my first time writing about firsts,
 
PLJ

Comments