Writer Day 22: Lost

Have you ever lost something special? Not like money but something irreplaceable that you know you packed away somewhere to keep it safe but you can't find it? 

What is it?

Have you ever been driving and gotten yourself off track?

Isn't that a terrible feeling to be lost?

Today I searched for a letter written to me by my Great Uncle. The letter is written on a huge piece of paper that he had to fold down several times to fit into the envelope. His handwriting looks just like my Grandmother's; you have to concentrate to read it. 

Uncle Marvin told me his history in that heartfelt letter so finding it is crucial. Something that he said to me in that letter many years ago is going to be the title for my next book but guess what, the letter is missing!

Uggggh! I feel so disappointed and frustrated. I feel so unorganized in the midst of organization. Everything is organized but I can't remember where in the system I filed it. (Deep sigh). It is in this house somewhere, I just need to take my time and get rid of the clutter. (Why am I keeping papers from Graduate School? I graduated in 1998!) 

If I had to pack up my house of special things I would not be able to pack it in a backpack. If  could only have 12 things in a backpack for 24 hours what would it be:
1.) pictures of my family
2.) my Bible
3.) my phone (with music)
4.) a charger
5.) my id
6.) lip gloss
7.) my journal
8.) a pen
9.) pictures drawn by my baby
10.) headphones
11.) Girl, Pray for Me (it's a good read)
12.) spearmint mints

I found other things while I was looking that I had been looking for at other times and that distracted me from looking for Uncle Marvin's letter. Isn't that just how it is, you lose one thing and find something you weren't looking to find?

Tonight, think of something that you have lost. Be it a love, some money, a personal effect. Think of something you may have misplaced and never found. Write about the feeling of losing it. It may not really be lost, just misplaced.

Second part, if you had to only keep 12 things of value in a backpack what would they be? Thank God it's only 24 hours. My list lets me know that I have a lot of purging to do.

Girl, Pray for Me and  "Just think how happy you would be if you lost everything you have right now, and then got it back again." -Unknown

PLJ


Comments