Writer Day 23: LifeSong

Hello Scribes,

Can you believe that our 30 day Scribe Challenge is almost complete? I know of one person who has written every day for 30 days with me. She has emailed me her writing and I must say that she has inspired me. Not only that, she allowed me to coach her when she needed to unpack some things and then the rewrites were even better. That is why I love being a writing coach!

I participated in a writer's workshop once and we were given a list of words to choose from that we had to use in a poem that was our life's story. I was thirty when I wrote my life song but at 40 I see things differently. The basis is the same, but I have changed some things and it feels good to see my transformation.

Here is our list of words:

Action, Eyes, Tree, Sparkling, Stronger, Vaseline, Bath, Feet, Hip, Peace

Sing
Sing this song for Penda
For she is a bundle of love - her name says it
Her sparkling eyes do too.

Born unwanted but wanted the same
Born too soon but just in time for
Change

Sing
Sing, this song,
sing for Penda

Afros and bell bottoms
“Play that funky music white boy”
 for black girls like her at the party who swing their hips dancing with their daddies and step on their feet.
For visionaries who took action, for our wiser, stronger elders in need of a cleansing bath after a hard fought war.

She takes after her Daddy
But he’s not ready for her little feet taking up space in his heart
In the beginning he was afraid and sat on his duff looking at her in the womb
He dug his roots in deep like dandelions blanketing tree roots

She was ready for him and he was proud but not ready,
a playboy and a ladies man
a hard worker stacking his bread
a rock, steady, 
a Daddy inevitably.

Sing. I want your words to blow people’s minds like vaseline soothes our thirsty legs.
You’re coming at a time of war but your presence brings peace
You’re a canvas, be open for creation

Sing. Sing this song
Sing, for Penda

They seek fortunes in cookies and love in the bed but you,
You sweet daughter will be different
You will know pain but you will yearn for healing
Even after brokenness in cycles you will be free -
Know it, share it, live it

Sing. Sing blackbirds, hummingbirds all hearts of people
This song, this song sing
For Penda and teach her to live
Watch as she loves like her Mommy.

Girl, Pray for Me and write your LifeSong.

PLJ

Comments