Writer Day 4: Motivation

When this year started I was excited about turning 40. My exercise journey had started last year and I was on my way to fabulous. I had a date with Shaun T. and Hip Hop Abs six days a week.  I was on it,  having fun and enjoying myself with myself. I could see myself changing and my days were not right if I didn't exercise. I loved to imagine my head on Shaun T.'s body!
This went on until a week before my birthday in March. One day I turned on the DVD and sat down to watch. Yes, I sat down with my water bottle, towel, and favorite red puma shoes instead of getting in position. I watched for a few minutes and walked away leaving Shaun T. to coach an empty couch.
Walking away felt good.
The internal drive to find my fabulous self had somehow become invisible. It was there, but it wasn't the lead horse anymore. Within hours I had gone from loving Shaun T. to being bored and feeling mundane. Not even his abs with my face were exciting. My horses had changed positions, instead of being led by motivation I followed excuses.
What is interesting is that I follow Jai Stone on Twitter. Check out her website www.jaistone.com. I feel like I know her, maybe it's because when I see my sister I see myself. She is so transparent about her business and her weight loss journey that her branding is all about being an Emotional Nudist. Jai is encouraging even when she is feeling discouraged. Isn't that amazing? She is amazing for being a true example of emotional nudity. We can't grow if we hide.
I support Jai from a distance. I want her to get to her unpluckable faith. But on the real, I didn't do what I needed to do for me. I was hiding. I really cannot exercise by myself for long periods of time because I get bored.
Hmm what happened to motivation? It didn't leave, I turned it off because I was trying to do everything on my own. Shaun T., as wonderful as he is wasn't in the room with me. He didn't make my food choices or help me cook. That was all on me. I get that, but when motivation was turned off so was self-control and self-discipline; they are all connected.
Frankly I was okay with them being turned off for a while as I got my "why" in line. I'm already cute, but this is my total health on the line. I needed to hit the reset button.
This past week among the other things I learned while my baby has been in the hospital is that motivation to be healthy, to write or to accomplish my goals is just beyond what I think I am capable of doing. When I push myself beyond capable I get to unpluckable - that is the true breakthrough. In the unpluckable position nothing can deter me from my goal. Nothing, not even when motivation is turned off.
After this week I'm back ya'll but can you check on me?
So in honor of April being national poetry month and today being day 4 of our Scribe Challenge we are going to write a poetic want ad to motivation. Motivation is always with us cheering us to finish our next book, get our body in line and get to the finish line however slow and steady we must go.
WANTED
A strong armed consistent challenger,
Leader, ready all the time to get it in.
Accepting no lame excuses
Kick my butt cause I need it sometimes
Internal drive to stay connected to why.
Motivation.
Girl, Pray for Me and for Jai Stone.  We all have work to do. Let's plug in to the source of our strength and stay there in our unpluckable position.
#motivation
No excuses.
PLJ
P.S. Tell Madame Maya Angelou Happy Birthday from her dandelion!

Comments