Discipline Versus Habit

Good Morning Scribes!

Whew I got a quick run in around the block and I am feeling good. Now I didn't actually run around the whole block I walked and ran the other half. But that's a start. I haven't run like I'm supposed to in about a month. How am I training if I'm not training? I have less than two months to get ready for my first 5K, she's been running every day and well let me say, I don't run much. I have been lazy about running for a few weeks, so many excuses about my calves burning and getting tired and my schedule is off BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Excuses have gotten me nowhere but lazy.

There came a time (this week) when I finally understood my problem. I was reading a book by Mike Murdoch and he gave a some definitions that helped:

I'm paraphrasing:
Habit is an unconscious effort to do something
Discipline is a conscious effort to do something.

Yup, ya girl lacked DISCIPLINE. That I think is what self control is, one fruit of the spirit. I'm working to build this temple and I need every fruit I can find to get it right. I go to boot camp to exercise and have not lost one pound in three weeks. It is discouraging but I am having fun, toning my flab back to firm and getting to know new people. I still have to go because it takes discipline and eventually exercising will become a habit. The weight will come off eventually but I can't quit just because I haven't lost any yet.

But today, when I ran around that block, I felt so refreshed. Like I stomped some stuff into the ground and showed myself I am more than a conqueror. I felt happy when the sweat started pouring and then when I washed it off in the shower I stepped out like a new woman. I love this feeling, I don't know why I have kept it from myself for so long.

So as Scribes we need to find not only our motivation, our unpluckable position and our faith, we have to find the power to discipline ourselves. We have to write every day. Edit, rewrite and write again. Build the discipline in whatever activity you are doing so it becomes a habit.

We can do it, we have big dreams to accomplish.

Girl, Pray for Me.

PLJ

Comments