Writer Day 2: Why?

Good Morning Scribes,

A couple years ago I was introduced on Twitter to a 31 Day Blog Challenge by a good friend. At the time she was blogging to raise awareness about Domestic Violence. I did not have an interest in blogging but because I was her writing coach she kept insisting that I try it. My honest reason for not wanting to blog was because I didn't want to share my life with strangers who would judge and berate me for my opinions, experiences or private thoughts. I had imagined what the negativity of people would do to me and how it would upset my very protective husband.

None of my greatest fears about blogging have become reality. I think it is because I started my blog in a safe place during the 31 day blog challenge. This challenge  was designed to encourage bloggers to blog by having us read and comment on one another's posts. I was given great feedback and some people shared that my intimate thoughts actually helped them. Some of the things I read also helped me and I developed great professional relationships as a result.

Wow.

This is what accepting a challenge did for me.

Last year I was an official registrant and I decided to take my 30 days blogging as an opportunity to share with Scribes some activities and support. Our goal was to have an exercise daily and share it with one another. Some people wrote for their books, penned poetry, plays or other things on their vision list. I am thankful to have learned the value in not resisting a challenge.

This brings me to my post today.

Why do I write?

I write because I found my voice in the pen. I write when I get angry enough to put a piece of tape over my mouth so I will hold my peace when a co worker disrespects me. I write to learn from my mistakes and to understand my journey.

I write because I believe that Scribes have a responsibility to leave a legacy and through our words, we live on in history.

What is the #30dayScribe activity anyway? Why does it apply to you?

If you are a writer, you need to write every single day. No excuses. Just write. I want to know if you are participating in this challenge with me. There may be prizes! If you do, I hope that at the end of 30 days we all will have developed a stronger habit of putting pen to paper.

Today, write your why.

Free to be Unpluckable,

Penda

Comments