#NowNovember: Kenya Osakue

It is now November. 

In years past I would be eager for the arrival. Ushering in the holiday season, overwhelmed and reflecting on all that I am thankful for. This year? Not so much. I mean, I am thankful and truly grateful for a multitude of things, but at the same time I'm asking myself how do I get through this?

It's now November. Its been 5 months and 3 days since my mother passed away. Not only was she MY heart and soul but she was the underlying heartbeat that kept our whole family going. Her longing for family and to stay connected to everyone was incredible! She had tremendous love for everyone whether they stayed in touch with her or not. During the holiday season she would try to keep in touch the most to let everyone know how much she loved and cared for them. Her favorite was to leave a singing holiday cheer voicemail for those who were unavailable to answer her calls. I would sit back and listen, but never participate. Oh! What I wouldn't give to have the opportunity to participate with her now.

#NowNovember can't be the same as the past 40 Novembers I recall before. Her cheerful voice, her singing, her laughter, her smile, her family-oriented spirit, her holiday excitement and her unconditional love is gone. Gone forever. 

Now November feels so empty.

It's now November. Its been 5 months and 3 days. How do I get through this?


Kenya Osakue is a graduate of Bowling Green State University. She lives in Houston,Texas with her son.









#NowNovember we are free to be Unpluckable






Comments