#DaringDecember: Take the Risk

Original Post December 6, 2015 (Revised)

I remember playing the game "Truth or Dare?" as a child and being courageous to do almost any challenge given to me. Being daring during those times was more about gaining the approval of "friends" or people I wanted to be my "friends" than it was about finding my passion and pursuing my dreams. My "friends" and I would always try to up the ante with each other, thinking of the craziest challenges so that we could get a good laugh at the other's expense. Although it was fun then, thinking back, I wonder what would have happened if we had dared each other to accomplish productive things such as getting straight A's or conquering our worst fears. Maybe I would have tried out for the dance team in high school. Maybe my best friend would have gone to the Air Force sooner instead of not being able to go at all. 

When I think about what it means to be Daring, I think about people that I know who have taken risks and stepped out on faith. I have seen people I know who have faced illnesses, overcome debt, won elections and started businesses. Here is a short list of people I admire who were daring:
  • Vernard Alexander has a passion to connect entrepreneurs. His business, the Minority Networking Exchange has connected thousands of people through networking events and social gatherings. Now, #ConnectingKing is an expert in Networking. Just from acting on one idea, he has impacted many people by helping them start, maintain and expand their businesses.  
  • Ayisha Morgan-Lee is the Founder, CEO and Artistic Director of Hill Dance Academy Theater. Her passion for dance led her to Howard University and gave her a foundation in black dance traditions. Her dream as a young child was always to have a dance school, after she obtained her MFA she started HDAT. For more than ten years she has been influential in the lives of many dancing stars, male and female and of all races.
  • Sharnay Hearn is a world changer, she is not afraid to get stamps on her passport or go to community meetings and lift her voice. She knows what is happening and shares it so that no one in her circle is without knowledge.  Now she is working on her Doctorate.
  • Law Dunford has loved theater since he was a child. He used to win a talent search every year for his mime interpretations of music. He completed his degree in theater and is living his dream of being an actor on Broadway.  
  • Sarah Muse owns Unique Aromas, a business that showcases oils, oil burners, shea butter and other items for your home or personal care. I saw first hand how people love her product and observed how she and her team worked with their customers recommending scents that fit them. She said she didn't listen to her brother when he told her the first time to start the business but I'm glad she caught his vision.  
  • Zontaye Richardson is my mentee. We have known each other since she was in junior high school. Now she has become a staple in her community with her store, TheZe DealZ. Her store provides,  "a fun and interactive shopping experience for customers interested in affordable and quality gently used items."
What are you doing that is building your legacy? Tell your story so that someone may hear how you overcame you fear and took the first step. As you revisit your goals and hopes for this year, are you on target to complete what you promised yourself you would do? Have you looked at your vision board and found that you will finish this year strong? If not, why? Name it so you can conquer it.  

I dare you to stand on your #Unpluckable faith when things are difficult. I hope that through #DaringDecember you will find a challenge to overcome.


Comments