#Inscribe Me Day 6: Writing Influences

Hello Scribes,

Thank you for taking this journey with me. Every day has built upon the last one. Just think, if you write every day for the next 24 days you will have a nice chunk of information about yourself or your ministry recorded. That will be a great accomplishment for you as a Scribe! If not, you will have learned a lot of facts about me, your Scribe Coach.
Track 1
For today's challenge write about three people who have influenced you as a writer.

1. My father was an English major in college and he is one of my biggest writing influences but I don't believe he knows it. Daddy has influenced me about how I use my penmanship. I can remember specifically on one of his birthdays that he analyzed everyone's handwriting. He pointed out my signature and asked, "Why did you write your name so small? Look at your brother's name, he wants everyone to know he is here." I must admit, next to his huge bear signature my ant of a name didn't have a chance standing next to his bear name! 

I have never forgotten that birthday card scenario, it caused me to make a unique signature so that I my name stands out among others, especially because Daddy too has a great signature. I got in trouble many times for trying to copy it.

2. If anyone knows me they know that Maya Angelou is one of my biggest writing influences. Her book I Know why the Caged Bird Sings showed me that it is okay for a writer to be honest about their story.

3. Musically I am influenced by Fred Hammond, India.Arie, Dave Crowder, Kirk Franklin and a few others. Their music has messages that have impacted me deeply. If you have a chance, listen to "Running Back to You" by Commissioned, my favorite!!!

Track 2
For today's challenge write about three business owners who influence you in the ministry or business.
1. For the past few months I have been learning from an entrepreneur by the name of Jai Stone. I'm not able to afford her coaching services at this time but I am grateful that she offers some free content that I can learn from to grow my business. I listen to her scopes and learn a lot about business, engagement with other entrepreneurs and business branding. She has influenced me by being authentic and part of her branding is that she is an "emotional nudist." Check out her website. One major way she has influenced me is to take my business more seriously, I cannot sacrifice time, resources and family commitments for business if it is not profitable. It's time to think bigger.

2.  For the past year I have been on the advisory board of two non profit organizations. Although I do not have a non profit business it has been beneficial for me to learn about grant writing, collaboration and business organization. I need to raise capital for my business, learning from these two non profit organizations, I would have done some things differently to position my business had I known what I know now.

3. I don't know enough about them yet but I have met a few people who have businesses similar to mine who are more established and lucrative. I will need to spend time with them to strengthen my business model. More to come on that later as I learn.

I hope that today's prompts help you find a community to network with and learn from so you can strengthen your skills. Find your niche and get in it. Go.

Inscribe Me,

Comments