InscribeMe Day 16: How I Overcame

Hello Scribes,

You're getting into the depth of the #InscribeMe Challenge. We have written about things to make you laugh, some may have brought tears to your eyes. All of this is good for you - good for the cleansing of your soul. Today I want you to think about an obstacle that you have overcome in your life, write about it.

_________________

I hate debt.



The thought of bills, balances and owing money used to cripple me internally. Long before I started to utilize the Debt Snowball I feared debt and what it could do to me. It caused tension early in my marriage, I would panic when a bill came. I once took all of the money in my account to pay a bill that my husband had already paid. Craziness.

Debt has been an obstacle for me for a long time. I have had financial mentors, been to workshops, taken Financial Peace University, paid off debt and saved money. There is no answer when I try to trace the origination of this fear about money; my parents don't act like that. I did see them sacrifice fun for bills sometimes but no panic attacks, dry mouth or crying. Daddy would let me have it if he knew that was my behavior.

I have shared about my friend Diana a few times during this challenge. She is not only my friend, she is my assistant for my business. She handles all the money at events or prior to an event. I couldn't hide my fear of money and debt from her and it was Diana who helped me overcome this obstacle for a few years. We worked on it as recently as a few weeks ago.

Here are my steps:

  • Even though I am not overcome with debt I don't want to be so I panic about it.

    1. I admitted to Diana that I am afraid of debt. 
    2. We worked with together to do the financials for my business and I was aware of what came in and what went out whenever we had a large event. 
    3. I trusted her with money and when she told me to fast from worrying about it for two days. I did. When I had a meltdown over money I called her and talked it through with accountability.
    4. I wrote out everything I owe for the business and personally, instead of using all of my income to pay all off my debt, I check in with my husband and Diana first. My tendency has been to pay everything and save nothing for myself. They helped me stop doing that.
    5. I wrote scriptures on the same index cards where I had written my debt so I can see that God has not forgotten me. "Owe no man anything but to love Him. (Romans 13:8, Deuteronomy 28:12, Luke 14:28)

    What have you overcome?

    #InscribeMe

    Comments