Instructions for the Village

Good Morning Scribes,

I hope your pen is full of ink and that you have been finding time to inscribe. Life has many moments that can inspire us as Scribes, it is our job to hearken to the call

We must.

Whether it is inscribing the sunset in a haiku or screaming disdain into spoken word, we must. If we dance, sing or act - there is power in our expression. 

We must.

How do I tell you to write when the pen feels heavy? When all you want to do is run to a cave, alone and cry how do I encourage you to write? What can I say to you when inspiration is overwhelming and painful - when it becomes more of a block than a free flowing form of worship?

My answer: Write through it. I don't care if you have to write the same word 15 times, write. It may not make sense, you may cry, it may make you frustrated, but write. Just write.

This past weekend my youngest brother lost one of his best friends. There are no words I can utter to soothe his pain. (I know better than anyone that words can fall flat when pain is deep). This loss is devastating to him, his village of lifelong friends and our family who hate to see him hurting. This loss of young life ripples beyond losing someone my brother loved like a brother, it is slicing open old hurts and pouring alcohol  into unhealed wounds. We just lost mommy...

If I cussed I would say, "Dam-! This is unreal." But I don't so cuss. I pray in whispers, "Peace be still. Lord have mercy" while I cry with Fred. His words, written through his pain, comfort his village and me:
"This cuts  deep
My nerve...
Me Brada...
Hurt ain't the word...
I'm praying...
Keep praying..."
You know, life isn't always good, but when it's good, be good with it. When it's on a downturn, rest in the peace of God. When you're hurting, feel what you feel and hold fast to your Unpluckable Faith (John 10:28) 

Somewhere, and to someone, your presence is important. You are part of a village if you want to believe it or not. Maybe it is time to start believing it; think about the people in your village. The people you love. Have you told them you love them lately? Do you have any photos with the important people in your life? Does your village walk with you, encourage you, rebuke you, inspire you to be God's best? What are you doing together to build your legacy collectively and individually?

Let  me leave you with three literal and figurative instructions for your role as a villager:
  1. Never, ever go anywhere with a village and walk away from them. When you are alone you are vulnerable to danger. Always keep your phone charged and if you need time to yourself check in with somebody so they can inform the village that you are okay. When you are ready, return to the community, they will embrace you.
  2. When your village suffers a loss, stand together. Regroup, reevaluate and keep walking, together. You will all need to take time to heal and as you move into a new season without a member of your village, call their name every day. There is an African proverb is paraphrased to say, "No one is ever dead as long as there is someone alive to call their name." Remember their dreams, build a legacy in their honor to give them life beyond their passing.
  3. Finally, when you are part of a village, learn to hold each other accountable in love. Everything you do within your village, do it in love...
Fred said it best:



"AHAYA...
Calm the storm. "





One day at a time,





Comments