Rebrand: Put on the Right Clothes


Good Morning Scribes,

I have been thinking a lot about how the rebranding process for my business had changed me. It took me back to when I got married. I admit that eleven years later, I have no idea what I was thinking - I have no idea why, but I had an outfit made for my father to wear in blue and white.

I'm so sorry Daddy!

Cue scary music. . .
If you know ANYTHING about my Wonderful, you know that the only two colors that exist for him are Royal Purple and Old Gold. I mean, really, there are no other colors out there. . .

When he looks at pictures of my wedding he still exclaims with disdain "Penn made me wear a clown suit." I laugh about it, but the feelings are still very real for him. He was not comfortable in his clothes and that prevented him from fully operating in his total Wonderfulness.

As I think about how rebranding has changed me, I realize that my father's disdain for blue and white was not about him being selfish or trying to take away from my wedding day. This exchange was about how both of us were trying to represent ourselves. It was his day too (and our other family members) and I didn't understand that until it was too late.

Blue and Green represented RJ and I, as our favorite colors. Blue is also my Mother in Love's favorite color so that was perfect for her. But daddy, hated the color choice. We weren't the only ones who got married that day, our families were blended. My husband and I did not ask anyone for their opinions or ideas because we were trying to carry the weight on our own. This created isolation and separation instead of cohesion for our extended families.

In my selfishness of seeing through my own eyes only, I did not consider the important people in my life who were impacted by my decisions. Thank God for mercy and forgiveness. . . I look back to that year of my life and I realize that I was trying to wear the wrong clothes. Haughtiness, pride and selfishness do not look good on me.
Lesson 1
It is okay to ask for help and ideas from people around you. This is one way that your supporters can have a voice and feel invested in what you do. You don't have to implement everything but this builds a strong team for you.  

As a business owner, you have to court your consumer to make sure you are a match for values and skills. In some ways it is like getting married because you are creating a covenant with that person.
There were people in our lives who wanted to sow into us financially and spiritually but we never asked for anything. Instead, I worked two jobs to pay for the wedding and found myself exhausted.
Lesson 2:
Until you ask, you never know who is willing to sow exactly what you need into your life. Selfishness and pride can prevent you from seeing the pennies in your hand.
Instead of asking for wisdom from wise counsel, I got my advice from people who gave me false information because they had no knowledge of family systems, marriage or Godly love. That was foolish. Truthfully, this is the root of my problem. I went shopping with people who tried to dress me in their style instead of encouraging me to find my own.
Lesson 3:
Listen to wise counsel of people who are doing what you want to do or have already been successful. Pay attention to the trails they blazed to prevent their pitfalls.

In my rebranding process I went through over 100 designs and two designers until I finally felt at I home with the font, style, colors and feel of my new logos. I started my business in 2006, a year after I got married, I was still trying to find my voice and my true passion. But now, after having lived through the loss of my mom, the devastation of cancer, career changes, business successes, becoming a mother and finding my comfort in my gifts, my business has its own style. I asked my village for input and found my voice.

So Scribes, I encourage you to think about your clothes. Are you wearing things that really represent who you are in business, professionally and personally? What makes you who you are? If you aren't, maybe it's time to rebrand. Let's talk about this, tweet me @ScribeCoach or hit me up on IG: @penscribed describing your favorite outfit.

Rebranding has changed me and made me better for you,


Comments