Say Hello

Hello Scribes,

Your Scribe Coach has no writing assignment for you today. What I want you to do is speak to someone you walk past every day and never talk to. Maybe its a coworker in the hallway or a person you sit next to at church. There is someone near you who has a story you need to hear. For me, it was Angie. I met her in July 2016 and have not seen her since mid-August. She usually was posted in the same spot every day holding a simple sign that always caught my eye:

Angie often would greet people with a "God bless you" as they either dropped pennies in her cup or hurriedly walked past her to their destination. That day I took pause and gave her my full attention. We made small talk for a few seconds before I asked her, "What are you doing out here?" I learned that Angie is a survivor of intimate partner violence who was expecting a baby in October. We are both motherless daughters and I could not imagine being homeless, motherless and alone while pregnant. I checked on her a couple times a week until I didn't see her anymore.

Angie's goal was usually $5 a day so she could get essentials for the night including a sandwich, Pepsi and batteries. Some days she did not make her goal and on those nights she would worry about her flashlight batteries dying in the tent city she shared with a group of men. Angie explained that she kept herself safe with a small knife. She had been harrassed. Hearing her story, I was touched by the situation she described and my heart was drawn to advocate for her. 

Although I have not seen her, she left a great impression on me and her faith strengthened mine. Despite her reality, Angie was pleasant and hopeful. From the kind gentleman who gave her his left over french fries to the people who gave her spare change, God was looking out for her and she expected him to. We prayed together and as I write this, I think about how meeting Angie opened my eyes to homelessness advocacy. 

I can't help every homeless person I see but I can make a human connection when I walk past. Angie gave me some ideas on what to offer homeless people if I feel comfortable. She even told me if they don't accept these donations they may not really be homeless:  small water bottles, baby wipes, flashlights and batteries, candles, non perishable small canned goods with pull tabs.

I admonish you to open your eyes a little wider. There is someone you will meet who will remind you of your blessings. For me it was Angie and for her I will continue to seek to be my sister's keeper.

All you have to do is say hello,








Comments