#DaringDecember16: Michelle Solomon

Hello Scribes,

Daring December is a time for us to step out of our comfort zone and try something new. This month I will be featuring some stories of people who are daring to push beyond their personal limits. Let's see how Michelle Solomon is experiencing #DaringDecember16:
Michelle Solomon
“Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine,  according to His power that is at work within us.”  
Ephesians 3:20-21 
Thirty seven years ago I was fifteen years old. I enjoyed hanging with my neighborhood friends. I loved to read, sing in the choir and I was getting straight A’s in school. I dreamed of becoming an architect to create buildings and houses. I imagined being married to a successful man and living a great home. I didn’t want any children, just a couple of little fur babies to care for along with my husband. I felt at that point in my life I could have the world if I wanted it. 
A year later I had my first child. Those dreams were shattered into a billion pieces never to be dreamt again…or so I thought. What happened? How did I get this little person that I really didn’t want (at the time)? My mother was going through some issues of her own, so I was pretty much left to my own devices. Yes I had help from my grandmother, but she let my mom be the mom. I didn’t get the encouragement to continue my education, or to continue to dream for my husband. I didn’t hear anyone say, "A baby doesn’t stop what you want to do with your life." I was told, "You will take care of that baby regardless of whatever else it is you want to do." 
I stopped imagining (believing) that I could still do, have, and be all that I had dreamed. My life seemed to be stuck; I felt like I didn’t have the right to dream about anything anymore. My life became caring for the baby, then the next baby, then my mother, then my father, then I was taking care of my youngest child. In 2015 I began to question myself, When do I take care of me? Who is going take care of me. My youngest daughter has a husband and two children. I have nobody to come home to, to cry to, or to vent to.  
Last year, in August I moved back to Pittsburgh from Texas. I was born and partially raised in Texas, but it did not feel like home. Pittsburgh is where I know people and feel like someone cares. I still felt “stuck” and didn’t know why. In March 2016 when I got a breast cancer diagnosis, for a very brief moment I felt like my life was a waste and that I had accomplished nothing. Do you know how that made me feel? Can you imagine that? The feeling of being stuck got stronger. 
A few days later I heard God's voice while getting into the shower: 
"This isn't going to kill you. " 
I went through the surgery and because of having to have a mastectomy and a reduction, in my mind I was deformed. The feeling of being stuck became a bit stronger. What am I going to do? I was tired of this feeling and wanted to get past it.
My Pastor preached a sermon called "Imagine That" a few weeks ago. Pastor B. asked 3 questions during his sermon, and the last question got me bawling: Can I imagine generational blessings that begin with me? Pastor B. referred back to Ephesians 3:20 and I am paraphrasing what he said, "God said you can imagine anything that you think about, God can bring it to pass. You are ALLOWED to imagine again, you are ALLOWED to dream again. Put in your mind that thing you thought you had lost forever and imagine God working it out." 
Can you imagine that? The stuck feeling was gone!!! I’m going to imagine everything and watch what God does!
This #DaringDecember16 I am imploring you to dare to imagine. Give it to God and see how He works that thing out. Imagine That!
Daring December,

Comments