First Lady: Book Excerpt #2

Hello Scribes,

I hope you have been working on something - break up with stagnation! Anything good? Anything that makes your soul sing? Anything that gives you joy, pain and tears at the same time? I can dig it.

Just wanted to give you another sneak peak into my next book, "First, Lady: Restoration for the Lady in the Leader."  I wrote this chapter two days ago through a lot of tears and how ironic this picture was in my memories today. Here is a snippet about my Mommy's view of leadership:

I found several passages about leadership, faith and community development in my mother’s journal after she passed away. Her written words gave me insight into her heart as a woman in leadership and some of her concerns: 
May the Lord guide and strengthen me as I walk forward with Him. Indeed I am blessed! I ask that my life continue to be blessed. Keep me from evil and not cause pain. Thank you Lord for the big plans you have for me. Bring to my mind the small things you want to bless in my life. (MJPH, 11/2001)
. . .When she would introduce herself my mother always spoke with a confidence I didn’t see at home, “My name is Marilyn Joy Pitts Horton.” Head up, shoulders back, big smile, “I am the pantry supervisor of the largest food pantry in Montgomery County.” She would go on to describe how she worked with people from all backgrounds including seniors, children and families. “I have created programs and workshops for single mothers, I run a Christmas giving program and I work with several dedicated volunteers.” When she spoke, Mommy was in her element - the element of leadership.
I saw my mother as a leader but I never heard her describe herself in that way. At the peak of her leadership she was implementing some of her visions and impacting people in a way that gave her confirmation of her purpose. She ran successful programming for the people she served and she put her own resources in the pot to make it work. When the agency reorganized the pantry and left her at the bottom of the totem pole because she didn’t have a specialized college degree the fire in her eyes began to fade. Instead of vision, creative ideas, and a heart to serve Mommy was going to work, to work. The days got longer and the bad habits got worse, when she lost her motivation at work, she appeared to have lost her willingness to fight for what she loved at work.
. . . I used to say things out of ignorance and frustration to my mother when she talked about how tired she was from working. I wasn’t disrespectful to her, but I was stern at times because I loved her everything in me. I pushed Mommy because I wanted her to be my definition of strength and goodness but on her own mommy was everything I strive to be and things I did not imagine that I wanted to be. Her love was able to transcend life - people in the community still talk about “Miss Marilyn.” Her fingerprint on their life unlocked their treasures, hopes and dreams and exposed them to God’s love. To love the broken, the intoxicated, the hurting, the angry, the rejected, the abused and the unkempt is loving others through the grace that God loved us. Mommy modeled how to do that effectively.
The Lesson: Know when you need to embrace someone so they can unfold in your arms.  
. . . Even though her office was in the basement of the building she always had on her lipstick and something beautiful. My friend told me, “I never saw your mother going to work looking less than fly. I once saw her wearing a fur vest and I was surprised when she told me she was going to work.” Because Mommy maintained her humility when working with people, she helped them elevate their own perspectives. We are connected - every person has something in common with us as leaders. Their greatness is ours, so is their brokenness and the redemption that brings them back to wholeness. Mommy believed that, and she lived it.
Photo Credit: Catholic Social Services, Dayton, OH
The Lesson: find something good to remind people to believe in about themselves. 
I can't give you everything, you have to read the book.

Remember, be a leader and a Lady First.


InSCRIBEMe,


 

Comments