#TimetoManifest: MJPH Edition

Hello Scribes,

If you have been following me for any length of time you know that my desire is to stoke the fire in writers. My goal is to build a community of scribes who record history in real time (both personal and societal). My roots in Dayton and on Paul Laurence Dunbar Street are what solidified my writer's heart. This is why I am a Scribe Coach. I desire to help people write through or about pain and transition to InSCRIBE their legacy.  Everything we write has purpose. Everything.

This is a picture of my mommy, Marilyn Joy Pitts Horton.

She always gave us journals and would tell us to write. My first memory of writing in a journal in fourth grade after my family moved from Cheverly, MD to Dayton, OH. I wrote a lot during that transition period. In eighth grade I was introduced to Maya Angelou and my writing palate opened up. Ms. Angelou wrote about her brokenness but she was not broken. Maya Angelou gave me permission to give a voice to my tears and I poured everything into my journals, especially the beautiful orange and green kente cloth covered journal that Mommy gave me.

Unfortunately after I adopted some pretty extreme religious views I tried to literally erase everything that was not like God from my life, including people and circumstances (another blog for another day). The result is that at one point I sat in my bedroom and ripped every single page of that beautiful journal. By the time I was finished the pages were powder and the cover was mangled. Not only did I tear the journal, I shredded that entire season of my life that I had inscribed.

Two of her college friends told me that she wrote all the time in college. They didn't keep anything she had written but they always knew that I had gotten my writing gift from both of my parents. Mommy always wanted to write a book, but I didn't know that about her. This year I am honoring my mother on her birthday by offering a special #TimetoManifest in her honor. (<<<<<<<<Click the link for a video). Eight writers will be selected to participate in an intense 30 day writing course.
Mute the negativity.
Jot it anyway.
Plan to commit.
Heed the call.
In 2016 when I hosted the 30 day Scribe Challenge, every day I was writing through pain and transition while sitting my mom in the hospital. If you use the hashtag #InSCRIBEMe on the blog you will find my posts. It's a simple process, write about the prompt and submit it to me. Scribes make the commitment to yourself while you still have time to get your book finished!

It's #TimetoManifest!


Comments