DaringDecember17: My Truth Leaks

Hello Scribes,

Let's have a talk. A genuine, heart to heart, make our souls stir, authentic conversation.


I think it's time to start telling our truth. To be honest with each other about how life is transforming us whether we want it to or not. As we age we gain wisdom. Wisdom that grows from being a Black woman, a survivor of sexual violation, a writer, a mother, a husband, a college educated intellectual - whatever lens we look through has contributed to how we define ourselves. What we adopt about ourselves is how we respond to people around us. Right now my truth leaks. I am different, I have always been different - now it is time to embrace and recognize that in my difference is my destiny. (Thank you Mia M.) 

Yup. I am who God says I am.

"Phenomenal Woman."

Maya Angelou is one of my writing influences. With her regal stature and depth of introspection she seemed to touch me in my dark places, illuminating my purpose and my voice with an invitation to stand up straight.

The internal battles of a little black girl in Dayton, Ohio sitting in her closet listening to Bobby Brown 's "Tenderoni" were captured and etched in stone by a woman who crossed the miles and sat with me in a book. I remember how her words fueled me to speak up against injustice, confront my fear of being beautiful and trust God to put back together the shattered pieces of my self-love. Maya Angelou put words on her tears which became a salve for my wounds too.

"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings."

This is why I write. This is why I encourage people to write - we all speak a language that someone else can understand. When we find our path of faith and share it with others is becomes powerful when the words are written down. This #DaringDecember17 I am daring you to find a way to tell your story. #InSCRIBE what you have become so that someone else can become great too. Today I am writing through, not about what has shaped me into a woman, this is my challenge for you too.

"Still I Rise."


My truth leaks and I stand in it.

#DaringDecember17,

Comments