#InscribeMe Day 21: A Word for the Children

Hello Scribes,

Who are the children in your life? What do you want them to know about you? Write to them.

I have one daughter, one niece and two nephews. These are the immediate children in my life. My Godchildren are all girls.
___________________

Okay babies, listen to me for a second. Turn off the t.v., AJ but your tablet down, EJ focus on me just for a few minutes. CJ, sit down and listen to Auntie. Sparrow is a baby, I will keep talking to her as she grows up but you guys are old enough to understand.

In our family there are four of you. Two girls and two boys, just like my siblings and I. You are cousins which is an important role, almost like a sibling. I was the oldest out of my siblings, it was a big responsibility to bear when I was younger. Over time, the weight leveled and became less heavy. We all carried pieces of something that helped another one when they needed it.

The number eight is significant for this moment in time, some say that it means "new beginning." You are part of a rich legacy. In this family we are all college-educated, well rounded, humble and community servants. Five of us attended historically black colleges (Grandpa didn't go but he heavily encouraged us to try it). You will never be able to escape your name or who you look like. That precedes you and can open doors because it comes with the gift of favor. Don't ever forget that there have been trails blazed for you by great people. I will pray for you, but you will make your own decisions. My prayer will always be that you walk with integrity in everything you do.

No matter what choices you make in your life, you will always come back to the root of greatness that is in your bloodline. I promise you, I will do whatever it takes to make sure that you walk on purpose. I may get frustrated and impatient but I will never forget the vision of success, power and strength I see in you.

That is what life does, it grows you up and gives you maturity to walk through situations and circumstances you never think you'd be able to master, but you will find a strength deep inside of you when you least expect it.

This morning is the first time in 42 years that I am waking up without the presence of my mother. Two years ago in June, I cut my hair in solidarity for her first journey into chemotherapy for breast cancer. I have always wanted short hair, but didn't have the courage to cut it until I knew that Grandma was going to lose hers. It was the only way I could be there with her and pass on the torch of being the eldest child to my sister. I live miles away, there was no way I could be there every step of Grandma's journey. Solidarity connected me with my family.

I heard you AJ when you said you hated my hair. I didn't tell you why I had cut it. You didn't know me without long hair but you grew to realize that I was the same Mommy you always loved. I learned in that moment that hair is important to many people, it is a sense of pride and a covering. Hair is important but does not define you, I've been natural (using no chemicals for 16 years). I am proud of that part of me. That haircut made me feel fierce. I loved it!

I want you to know about me that I love deeply and I love hard because, well, my name means love and peanut. (AJ is allergic to peanuts. HA). So here are a few more things I want you to know about me in addition to what I believe:
  • My Brother Bears are my heart, I don't talk to them enough.
  • I believe in dreams. As Grandma Dear says, "Follow the dictates of your heart and soul baby." 
  • I love to dance. Good music makes me think of my parents. 
  • Whenever I can, I will pour out every piece of my soul to teach someone how to walk on purpose, that's what was done for me. Because my heart is tender, don't ever lie to me. I can handle the truth, even if my hair is ugly to you.
  • I once was a belly dancer and a cheerleader as an adult!
  • I enjoy cooking. I'm not as good as Grandma though, but I'm still practicing.
  • I will do my best to keep a scrapbook or journal for you because I want you to have history of us to carry with you.
  • I love to laugh! Sometimes I laugh when I am uncomfortable, don't take it personally.
  • I enjoy time to myself just as much as I enjoy being with people. Quality time is one thing I value in relationships, sometimes I will need to see your face.
  • Sometimes I just need to sit alone and think to music or a podcast.
  • I am my Father's child, I have so much in common with my Daddy. Believe it or not I have a pit bull in me that can be unleashed if necessary. I choose to hold her back most of the time but it is okay to let her run free. Nobody has any right to disrespect or overlook you (or me for that matter). Remember that. Don't let me hear that somebody messed you over! Niece, nephew or daughter, I am on the case if I need to bite some sense into somebody figuratively.
  • I love black history. Take me to a museum any day.
  • I like tea and lemonade.
  • I am a lifelong learner, I like to stretch myself and try new things.
  • I see the beauty in dandelions, my daddy taught me that.
There is so much more but this is a good start for now. 

I am always here if you need me,
P
____________
Hey Goddaughter, (all four of you)

I know we don't talk much but I have been with you since before you were born. I pray for you constantly. I hear about all of your accomplishments from your Mom and I get so excited when you call me. We need to make time to hang out again, I want to see what you like to do. I want to hear all about your life too.

I am proud of the woman you are becoming. You are strong, creative, beautiful and the world is waiting for you to live in it without fear. Don't ever feel like you are walking through life alone. Be daring enough to be yourself. I have your back and your best interest at heart. If you fall, you can count on me to be there to lift you up. I take my role as a Godmother seriously.

We have so much to catch up on, I can't wait to see you again.

All of my love,

Godmommy
_________________

#InscribeMe,




Comments