NowNovember16: Gavita Durham

Hello Scribes,

One person who inspires me greatly is Gavita Durham. I have observed strength, courage and determination while observing her overcome many health challenges. Gavita fought hard through her treatments for her daughters:

Gavita Durham worked for most of her career teaching life and entrepreneurship skills, and encouraging others through tutoring.  She is the proud mother of 17 year old Maya and 4 year old Zuri. 
In her spare time, Gavita enjoys cooking, reading, and serving her community through volunteerism.

As mothers, we often get so caught up in life that we forget to take care of ourselves. 
 
In September 2015, while showering I conducted my normal self-breast exam and found a lump in my right breast. At the time I thought nothing of it. I reported my finding to my liver transplant team (I see them every three months). My coordinator gave me a prescription for a mammogram. For numerous reasons, (mostly denial), I never went to be tested. At my next appointment, my coordinator asked if I got it done, I told her no. “I heard if it doesn’t hurt, then it’s not cancerous.”   
She urged me, “Get tested,” and gave me another prescription. On December 31, 2015, I went to Magee Women’s Hospital to get tested. Let me tell you. This was the longest five days ever! The hospital did not call me after five days so I called them, only to find out that I had breast cancer. I can’t remember the medical term of the cancer but I was told it was located in two places and I needed to be seen by an oncologist.  
Although a number of emotions flooded my body, I wasn’t afraid. After what I had been through with liver disease, my survival instinct kicked in along with my faith in God - I was gonna be okay. He didn’t bring me this far to fail me. I believed then, and still believe that He has purpose for me. 
Unfortunately, the cancer was in two places. The surgeon gave me 2 options. 1. Have a Mastectomy or 2. Have a lumpectomy followed with six weeks of radiation. I talked it over with the professionals and my family and we opted to have a lumpectomy, which is where they remove the cancer, versus the whole breast.  The first operation was not successful. After checking the lymph nodes and following up with other testing, it was found that the cancer, was not completely removed. The doctor had to go back in and scrape the circumference where the tumors were positioned. Thankfully, the second surgery was successful and I completed treatment June 20, 2016. 
In life, we can become victims of our circumstances, or we can stand on the foundation of God and conquer all things.  
This is my story.  
This is my journey.  
To be continued…
#NowNovember16 we are grateful for good  health and second chances,

Comments