Breakthrough to the Breakthrough

Hello Scribes,

Bobby Brown!

I am not ashamed to admit out loud that my childhood crush was, and sometimes still is Bobby Brown. Wherever I am, if "My Prerogative" is playing I let my hair down and belt out every word from my diaphragm. Even now when I hear that song I feel inspired to stand up for myself. When I hear that song I want to #Manifest everything that God has called me to be. To paraphrase my favorite line, I can live my life and I am doing it just for God. I don't need anyone's permission...

I didn't understand that I was a child singing about adult concepts. As an adult, I am able to find the message within the message. I can apply my understanding of God's word in order to chew the meat and spit out the bones. Bobby B. just like Maya Angelou were vessels that God used to fortify me when I was young, broken, and learning how to advocate for myself. I was a young tenderoni rising at that time!

Stay with me. I know that to many people Bobby B. has a bad reputation. I understand that for some, his past overshadows what he has become in his older age. Let's be honest, there are people who still hold us at fault for things we did to them when we were operating out of pain or immaturity. You can't help who likes or dislikes you. You can't make people forgive you, want to be with you, or love you. Life is all about seasons and we have to understand the purpose of seasons in our lives.

When I think about breakthrough and what it means to stand tall after breaking through the walls that hold us back I usually, undoubtably think of Bobby Brown. For your pleasure (or disdain), here are three things I learned from Bobby Brown about the power of the breakthrough to the breakthrough.
  1. Keep getting up. Many circumstances knocked Bobby down but he is still standing. His wife Alicia explained that she has watched him grow up. He is more wise, more balanced, more reserved. No matter what happens to knock us down, we have to take the hits, learn the lessons and keep getting back up stronger in our faith. We are not designed to remain the same, with age we should change.
  2. Forgive yourself. I watched TD Jakes interview Bobby about the pain in his life. There was one moment on the show where a man apologized to him for for his perception of him. It broke through to Bobby to have a stranger apologize - many people were crying in the audience. It was a powerful moment. We won't always be able to ask for forgiveness from the people we hurt. If we cast our cares at God's feet and apply his word to our lives we can stop holding ourselves at fault for bad decisions. It is easy for most of us to forgive others but we hold ourselves captive when we don't have to. Every day we have new mercies, we can't take that for granted.
  3. When you finally break through, fight for your life every day. If you don't know, Bobby Brown had an addiction to drugs and alcohol. I heard him say that every day he fights not to take a drink. Every day we have to fight not to be what we know we shouldn't. Only God can show us how to be what He wants us to be. We have to seek his face every day. No more hiding.
This month I have been writing about "The Breakthrough." Breakthrough to Faith and Breakthrough to You.  I didn't think I could write any more about breakthrough until I realized that some people take longer to break through barriers than others. I am reflecting on my long distance admiration of Bobby Brown. Now I know that he has always been a visual representation of my own internal fight to be God's best. When I look at Bobby, I can see areas in my life where I have been ridiculed, put down, unforgiven and rejected. On the flip side I see redemption, wisdom, maturity, grace and God's mercy.

Now Scribes, think about your breakthroughs and inscribe them in your journal.  I'm going to dance to "My Prerogative" and thank God that he isn't like man who constantly reminds me what I used to be.

If you want to have more fun, make a list of your declaration songs or better yet, write your own. I look forward to adding some of your songs to my Declaration playlist, hit me up @penscribed and share them with me. I will share mine next week.


Time to Manifest,


Comments