#Daring December: Chiseled by 2016

Hello Scribes,


If I can be honest, this year was a "hell-of-a" mountain to climb. I understand that it was a necessary part of my destiny but I can't lie and say it was easy. On some days I felt like I was digging my heels in sliding soil to prevent from falling into a bed of rocks to my demise. (The links to my blog will highlight other things I learned).

I hope 2017 is kind to me and my family. I pray that the lessons in her bag are not as hard to digest as those of her brother, 2016. Climbing the mountain of grief, rejection, career reevaluation, transition and transformation is absolutely similar to climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. Climbing the mountain is hard, but joy does eventually come home.

Here are a few lessons from this year chiseled into me:
  • Pray for peace. When the storms of 2016 hit me, at times the only word I could utter was "Peace." 
  • Exercising is crucial for me. I have to fight for my life every day. I hit the highest weight of my life this year despite Daniel Fasting, regular fasting, green smoothies and Zumba/21 Day Fix/Hip Hop Abs/Walking. I ate the right things too quickly, and the wrong things too slowly. I learned what food means to me and how to use it to fuel me versus living to eat. It's time to put in the work - the holy spirit dwells in me, I don't want him suffocated by fat. 
  • Never judge a book by its cover. In many instances this year I was confronted by my internal biases. I was intentional to combat them once I recognized what was happening. 
  • Dandelions are a gift from God. This year, dandelions appeared exactly when I needed confirmation. They were on a tissue box during a job interview, a poster at the gym when I wanted to quit, in concrete when I was walking and even in snow! I thank God that he knows how to speak directly to me. 
  • A day at a time. When I was climbing the mountain of 2016, I had to surrender my expectations, my will and my desires to God. I was trying to control everything around me. I have learned this year to live in the moment and be present wherever I am. I have also learned that I am not perfect and I have hurt people with my words, judgements and by jumping to conclusions. One. Day. At. A. Time. This applies to many areas of my growth this year.

  • Let other people serve you. How do you transfer a life of servanthood to being served? Ask me that on December 31, 2017. I am learning how to allow people to give to me, just as much as I was a giver to others. I am working on it. 
  • "You just have to smile and act like a lady and everything will be okay." I met an older white woman who spoke to me about my concerns with racism. She reassured me that I am responsible for my actions and if I am good to people and they are not good to me - it is their problem.
  • Never shirk from speaking my truth. This year I jumped out of my comfort zone and bought turquoise lipstick. Some people hated it. My truth is, the lipstick makes me happy inside - I feel courageous when I wear it. That is one example that when I speak my truth I understand that it belongs to me and that is okay.
let's bid 2016 adieu and gear up for what is to come.

#DaringDecember16,











Comments